The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is offering REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards.
If you use your driver license or identification (ID) card to get through airport security, or to access a federal facility this will soon change. Starting May 3, 2023, you will need a REAL ID, U.S. Passport or military ID in order to board a domestic flight, or access certain federal facilities.
California is working to meet the new standards, which were set by the federal government, and have made available REAL ID compliant driver licenses and identification cards at all DMV locations throughout the State of California.
Residents interested in applying for a REAL ID compliant driver license or identification card must do the following:
- Make an appointment to visit a field office.
- Appointments can be made online by visiting www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-777-0133.
- Provide proof of identity (for example: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization or citizenship, employment authorization document, permanent resident card, or foreign passport with an approved form I-94).
- Show a California residency document (for example: utility bill, rental agreement, mortgage bill, medical document).
- Present proof of your Social Security Number (for example: Social Security Card, W-2 form, SSA-1099 form, Non-SSA-1099 form, Paystub (with full SSN).
Valid California driver licenses and identification cards can still be used to board commercial flights until May 3, 2023.
The cost for a REAL ID driver license or ID card is the same as what is currently charged for a standard driver license or ID card. REAL IDs will have a special marking of the California grizzly bear with a star on the top right corner of the card.
The cost for a REAL ID driver license or identification card is the same as those currently charged for a standard driver license or identification card. REAL IDs will have a special marking of the California grizzly bear with a star on the top right corner of the card.